Tuesday, October 1, 2013

First Day of School (teaching)

Monday, the last day of September, included a special event at my school. The former principal was officially giving over the reigns to the old history teacher, so there was an official assembly and lunch that I was invited to.  Before I could partake, I had some errands to run including picking up my residency permit and opening my bank account. 

First, my residency permit required 40 Euro and 2 minutes-- supes easy and now I'm officially NOT on my Schengen days! I can legally stay until July 12th!


My second task proved to be harder.  Opening a bank account requires an address, which can only officially be proved by an annoying document known as the Meldezettel, it is essentially proof that you registered with the city you live in, and even if you have a signed and stamped rental agreement it DOES NOT MATTER. The Meldezettel is the water of life in Austria. 

"Oh you'd like to climb out mountain's? Buy shampoo? MELDEZETTEL PLEASE. 

Strangely enough, when getting my residency permit, they actually didn't want proof of residency, weird, right??? So, when I brought my RESIDENCY permit with me to the bank BECAUSE I LIVE HERE, they still needed to see a Meldezettel, which I did have on me at the time.  

But, when someone in Austrian doesn't want to help you?
 YOU GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Austria is what is known as an asking country, not a telling country.  You just have to keep asking and asking and asking. For someone, like me, who is rather (or likes to think she is) independent, this is a tough task to get used to. 

So,  I went to the next Sparkasse down the road and explained my situation and the HELPED ME HAPPILY.  Mr. Gutjahr (great name btw) apparently already helped "one of my people" and was so enthused and confused as to why and American would come all the way to Austria.  With a bank account acquired I can hopefully begin to receive payment for my upcoming work.  How did this work go?  Let's discuss!

I arrived on time for the even on Monday, which involved meeting all of the teachers, around 40, drinking sekt and eating pretzel sandwiches.  One of the fellow English teachers, Linde, dropped me off at home (she was curious and self-proclaimed nosey, as to where I was living) -- there was something about her personality that reminded me of an American, maybe it was her openness?  She just seeming like someone you wanted to hug.  That might seem weird, but I got a very kind vibe from her. 

Today, I got up a little before 6 (class starts at 7:30 and my bus left at 6:50) and went to the first hour with Inge (she is very tall, fashionable, and organized).  My first class was of younger kids, all around 14, with wonderful english skills.  They could all tell me where they were from, their favorite hobbies and how many siblings they had.  They had just learned how to ask questions, so each student asked me very proper, non-offensive questions.  This differs greatly to the second class, who weren't originally students at Ursprung, rather they study agriculture vocationally and are now doing a Aufbaulehrgang, which is an additional certification, I believe?  They are all 19 or so and were VERY interested in whether I 1) was Married 2) had a boyfriend 3) did I have an Austrian number? 4) where did I live?.  We eventually got the conversation focused on them.  

I asked them where they lived, where they thought I should visit, and then I asked them all if they had Lederhosen and Dirndln -WHY SO MANY CONSONANTS?- and they looked at me as if I were a crazy person, "of course."  

So, I asked whether I should get one and why?  They were very enthused by this question and told me yes, because they are nice.  Especially if I am going to be there on the 1st of May.  On that day, which they could not tell me the name of, they stand a tree and you can climb it because there are bretzels and things on it. Adorable.  So, I guess I will be buying a Dirndl so I can climb a tree to get my bretzel. 

Can't wait for May!

Things are super well, I'm very peaceful and slowly getting settled in and not rushing a single thing.  

Alles bestens!

2 comments:

  1. That is hilarious about the Bretzel-tree. And also that they want your number! CUUUUTE!!! (Also, "officially giving over the REINS. . ."
    Nice post; glad it's going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it's May Day, and they are talking about a May Pole!

    ReplyDelete