Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Box of Tea Reads My Mind

Well, the amazing weather could last only so long.  This past weekend was spent in Germany by the Königsee on Jenner (6,000 feet), which is a small little mountain good for hiking. Monday was nearly 70 degrees and I spent the day riding around the city. 






Today, in the world of real fall weather, it was gray and cold and I couldn't believe how much it effected everyone.  

In class, I've been teaching Halloween, which, in my opinion (always right), is fun! We are watching parts of the Nightmare before Christmas, and learning about Stingy Jack and Jack O'Lanterns and watching a hilarious short film called The Life and Death of a Pumpkin.  Sadly, it was not only my students who were exhausted and excruciating to deal with, but after school I came home and took a two hour nap.  I felt completely weak, had all of the vitamin D been suddenly sucked out of my body? AH! 

Luckily, about two weeks ago Linde (whose name is short for Analinde, how pretty!) gave me a variety box of organic tea.  I can't tell you how many different teas are in here, but it seems no matter what my mood, the box knows how to accommodate.   Today, I was rummaging around searching for something to help my blah and voila:  Kutz-Kutz!

Right?

For my sake, the teas are all labeled with English translations which this time just said Stormy Weather. Now how on earth can Kutz means storm and weather?  Research commence! 

As it turns out, kutzen is the Austrian verb for husten which means to cough.  So, the Kutz-Kutz tea is the best tea for a wintry, gray, cough-filled day.  While I do not have a cold, the mixture of sage, camomile, elderflower and peppermint is really putting a pep back into my step.  Ha, see what I did there?! 

Now, did I strike your curiosity yet?  Have I not yet discussed the Austrian dialect I'm currently dealing with? 

For starters you always greet people with Grüß and some other word: Gott (God, very formal), di (you, less formal), euch (you all).  You can also say Servus which is hello and goodbye, a German Aloha!  And lastly, for goodbye: Pfiati/ Pfiat di (for one person) and Pfiat euch (for many people) which is a shortened version of Behüte dich Gott, which translates to something along the lines of God protect you, or God be with you.  I just think that is very pleasant and it sounds wonderful when spoken: LISTEN HERE!   

There are many MANY differences to standard Germany, but I'll leave that with you for now. 

Have a wonderful week and Happy Halloween! 

Pfiat euch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment